Friday, March 14, 2008

Book Review


Ok, so this may not be interesting to anyone, but I read two books this week and I feel accomplished and edified. I would recommend these books as well. The first book, The Proper Care & Feeding of Marriage, by Dr. Laura Schlessinger, was surprisingly good. I received this book as a gift at my Bridal Shower, and when James saw it, he made some comment about Dr. Laura being a complete man-hater. I honestly knew nothing about Dr. Laura or her books or radio show, so I was less skeptical and decided to give it a try. I really learned a lot and was pleased to let James know that she is anything but a man-hater, and that he might actually like the book. I really liked her sections on the DO's & DONT'S. As lame as it may sound, I am really excited to incorporate some of her ideas into my life, because I feel they would most definitely be beneficial to our marriage.


The second book I read this week was, If Life Were Easy, It Wouldn't Be Hard, by Sheri Dew. I also really enjoyed this book. It was very uplifting and fun to read Sheri Dew has an awesome way of portraying things so they are easy to understand, and rather matter-of-fact, which when it comes to gospel principles, I do better when it is presented that way. I had my eyes opened to the very simple concept, or commandment, rather, of Love One Another. It really struck me how important it is to love others and treat them as I would myself. (Seems really simple, I know, I know, I'm learning!) I think the best chapter overall was the one about Charity. This one was a shorter read, only about 140 pages, and I was a little bummed when it ended, because I wanted her to keep going!

2 comments:

Patterson Family said...

Dr. Laura Barf!!

Dane

Cotter said...

i have always wanted to read that dr. laura book. i think it seems interesting!